Student Services Specialist Maryville University
The Student Services Specialist will counsel, advise, and investigate simple and complex questions and issues from current and previous students, parents, faculty, and staff with exemplary customer service and upmost care. The position functions within the Student Service Center which encompasses Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Cashier and the Office of the Registrar. The Student Services Specialist will support the integrated functions of the Student Service Center as they relate to faculty, staff, students, parents, alumni and the other members of the Student Service Center Team. The successful candidate must be committed to fostering a culturally diverse atmosphere for faculty, staff, and students.
- Provide proactive problem solving as well as on-the-spot resolution and independent diagnostic support on a broad range of campus variables with follow up until issues are resolved to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Answer phones promptly, assist visitors in person, monitor electronic chat requests, respond to emails, and oversee online community engagement all while exhibiting outstanding customer service.
- Accurately perform cashier duties, balance cash drawer and reconcile receipts, including daily bank deposit
- Refer students to electronic self-service tools and provide clear instructions on navigation when appropriate.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Exemplary customer service and interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively present information
- Basic bookkeeping knowledge
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to be empathetic, sensitive and diplomatic when discussing issues with students
- Knowledge of integrated software systems as well as Windows applications, file management, and Microsoft Word and Excel and the ability to learn new systems
- Ability to work in an open office atmosphere
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize appropriately
- Ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic team environment
- Ability to be adaptable, intuitive, and flexible
- Strong sense of initiative; self-starter
• Professional experience in higher education (graduate assistantship internship or work-study will be accepted)
• High volume customer service or call center experience
Special Instructions to Applicants:
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.