Manager of Special Events Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions, featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from more than 40 states and multiple countries. Opera Theatre operates year-round education and outreach programs serving nearly 10,000 local children and 5,000 adults. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $10 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of the annual budget.
The Manager of Special Events is an integral part of the development team, and will:
- Plan and execute Opera Theatre’s major annual fund-raising events including the Spring Gala (May), Holiday Celebration (December), and Wine and Beer Tasting (February):
- Identify, research, and cultivate event donor prospects; work with volunteer event leadership to solicit prospects and manage follow-up; and update revenue projections regularly to measure progress toward event revenue goal;
- Monitor event expenses to meet budget goals;
- Prepare proposals for event solicitation;
- Manage communication with event leadership and committees;
- Coordinate with vendors to execute event logistics and ensure competitive pricing;
- Coordinate with marketing/PR for promotion of events;
- Supervise onsite management of each event.
- Manage arrangements for donor events and cultivation activities during the opera season (May/June) and off-season, including identifying and securing event hosts, event planning, host and guest communication, logistical details, guest seating, and on-site management of each event.
- Supervise a seasonal intern.
Qualifications / Requirements
The successful candidate will have:
- 3-5 years of experience in event management, fund-raising, volunteer management, or related field;
- Proven ability to generate revenue for events and/or sponsorship activities;
- An ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, with demonstrated success in crafting written solicitation materials for individual or corporate donors;
- An ability to work with many individuals in differing capacities (volunteers, major donors, staff, and vendors);
- Demonstrated skill in managing projects with overlapping deadlines in a fast-paced environment and extraordinary attention to detail;
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, and donor database required;
- An ability to work evening and weekend hours at key times during the year, particularly during Opera Theatre’s festival season in May and June;
- A team-oriented approach and an interest in the arts.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Nicole Ambos Freber, Director of Development
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, 210 Hazel Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63119-7910
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.
Opera Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, and veteran or disability status. 7/2016